Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly What does it mean?

Discuss the metaphorical and hidden meanings behind the series.

Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly What does it mean?

Postby TheZeroFaReal » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:43 am

I made this because of some of the messages sent to me for asking it. Please people don't be afraid to make posts that's what this forum was made for? Well I know the answer but before I answer let's hear your points of views. People can say Furi Kuri and get confused, Is that a sexual meaning? is it nothing? Well Looking at the clues, Furi Kuri has been used to any meaning so what are your views?
dreamimimi wrote:No fair tell me how to become one for real. ... .TheZeroFaReal!?
TheZeroFaReal
FLCL Guru

Postby koga18 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:43 pm

this is just kind of a guess, but to me i think that it is all the horns that grow out of naota's head.

and all the pervirted things that he does.
koga18
FLCL Guru

Postby Ouroboros » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:49 am

I also think that is has something to do with the perverted stuff in the show. It could have something to do with the stuff that comes out of Naota's head, but I think that that has to do Naota's size, if you catch my drift. But that's just my guess.
Teen Titans: Breaking Point. Chapter Four is up.
Av credits to MufassaLuvsPie.
Ouroboros
FLCL Wizard

Postby koga18 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:25 am

nasty! i get what you mean though as you can tell.
koga18
FLCL Guru

Postby Ouroboros » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:21 pm

I think that because when Haruko hits Amarao in the head, something small comes out. She's kind of acts like she expected that and then when she leaves, he yells after her, "What's he got that I haven't?!" So that's what I base my guess off of.
Ouroboros
FLCL Wizard

Postby koga18 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:22 am

that part is weird she uses it as a slingshot.
i lost my soul a long time ago.........oh well
koga18
FLCL Guru

Postby cappucino_canti » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:15 pm

apparently, the reason something small comes outta amarao's head is because he has a tiny NO field and as such haruko can only pull small things outta his head. but yh, i betcha it has something to do with his "size". considering how perverted they all are. ahh but we still like those crazy guys at gainax :P what will they think of next?
Antidaephobia: The fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you- Gary Larson
cappucino_canti
FLCL Expert

Postby HarukoNaotaXXX » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:53 am

FLCL means "fondling with a woman's breasts".
HarukoNaotaXXX
FLCL Student

Postby Ouroboros » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:33 pm

That is what "furi kuri" technically mean in Japan. It's slang for fondling a woman's breasts. But for the show, it's probably just sex in general.
Ouroboros
FLCL Wizard

Postby slasho » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:44 pm

considering the show was made in Japan I think that is why they chose that name.
D: THE PLURAL OF AXIS IS AXIES WTF
slasho
FLCL Lover

Postby Amy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:48 pm

Tsurumaki had a lot of fun with this. There are many, many meanings to FLCL, and sometimes it can get confusing-like puberty. That's how he wanted people to see FLCL, to see just how confusing growing up really is. FLCL is actualy PRONOUNCED "Furi Kuri" in Japan. There never was a "Furi Kuri" for the name, that's just how it SOUNDS. But, in america, we have the "ooo" and "L" sounds, so we're able to translate "Furi Kuri" into "Fooly Cooly", which is the correct spelling. In the first episode, there's a conversation about the meaning of Furi Kuri, but it's all put in there to make it more confusing. 'cuz it's supposed to be. Oh, and by the way, Naota's age is 12. (Why is it that every show i watch has someone the same age as me?) that's odd...it happens with books too. Sorry, off subject ^_^
Amy
FLCL President

Postby Mamimi » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:45 am

It's not just about sex.
The outer shell of the plot, we all know.
Alien chick with a guitar comes to Earth, boy with horn, etc.

But the deeper story.
You have to dig deeper for FLCL.
Nihongo doesn't have the 'l' pronounciation.
So, it's pronounced, 'Fuhri Kuhri' or 'Foori Koori'

Confusing it what it's aiming for, to grab the viewer's interest.
Hey, it brought you all to this site, didn't it?
It got you watching every episode, right?
It got you exploring for more information.
So, it's one big mystery. Or, if you think small-minded, you could go for the fondling breasts thing.

But you have to think different.
Think outside the Vespa.
(Yes, the Vespa.)
Mamimi
FLCL Academic

Postby Amy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:14 pm

It's not just about sex.

you're right. it's not. but, it is about puberty in boys, which sex has a LOT to do with. The funny thing is, if you don't understand something in FLCL, relate it to sex, and the answer will come to you.

There's a first degree, second degree, and third degree when it comes to understanding FLCL. The first degree is just understanding what's going on. Like, understanding that what you just saw happened, but you don't really know its meaning.

the second degree is understanding all of the hidden meanings and metaphors and symbolism. This is my favorite degree, because there's more complications, and there's more to it in general. And i love making sense of confusing stuff.

the third degree is...well, i can't really put this in the same way as the other two posts, but...the third degree is puberty. This means things like knowing that the horn is a metaphor for erections, and realizing what time it "gets bigger". the third degree is focusing on a young boy's view of sex and adulthood who's going through puberty. (that's why i stay away from this degree, i'm female.) But, it's pretty easy to understand. Like i said, all you have to do is link everything to sex.

But you have to think different.
Think outside the Vespa.
(Yes, the Vespa.)

...i don't get that ^
Amy
FLCL President

Postby Mamimi » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:14 pm

Amy wrote:the third degree is...well, i can't really put this in the same way as the other two posts, but...the third degree is puberty. This means things like knowing that the horn is a metaphor for erections, and realizing what time it "gets bigger". the third degree is focusing on a young boy's view of sex and adulthood who's going through puberty. (that's why i stay away from this degree, i'm female.) But, it's pretty easy to understand. Like i said, all you have to do is link everything to sex.

...i don't get that ^

Yup.
You're correct.
The third degree is really easy.
You can relate most of the show to sex.
There's even a website on the sexual terms.

Oh, thinking outside the Vespa is my way of saying:
Think outside the box.
Mamimi
FLCL Academic

Postby Amy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:16 pm

Oh, thinking outside the Vespa is my way of saying:
Think outside the box.

:lol:

creative, eh?
Amy
FLCL President

Next