Swinging the bat

Discuss the metaphorical and hidden meanings behind the series.

Swinging the bat

Postby justin.walters01 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:09 am

OK, I searched around and I didn't find anything on what the meaning of "swinging the bat" from episode 4 is. What do you guys think? Is it something sexual, or is it simply a life lesson? Or, maybe it just means to swing the bat. Ideas?
justin.walters01
FLCL Academic

Postby Psychonaut » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:06 am

life lesson imo.

because if it was merely a sexual reference, he wouldn't be doing more and more stuff in the show afterwards... :)

and it ties into the sexual reference, I guess.

you can't do anything unless you try... is pretty much what it's saying, I guess. lol...

unless anyone else has a thought they'd like to join in with?
see you guys soon.
Psychonaut
FLCLW Fat Cat

Postby justin.walters01 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:58 am

That's what I was thinking.

The only thing is, can it be that simple? Would the creators actually slack off that much and be so blatant about it?

Also, there are some references to paranoia agent near the middle of the "Swing the Bat" episode I think.
justin.walters01
FLCL Academic

Postby Psychonaut » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:01 am

sure, why can't they just be blunt with a topic? :?
see you guys soon.
Psychonaut
FLCLW Fat Cat

Postby jidfurikuri » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:58 pm

*shrugs*

sure they can be as open as they want. . . . i mean, sure some of the stuff is really deep, but alot of it is more simple than what you'd expect. :/
JustFrosty wrote:(cept shoujos,i like romance,not vagina excrement on paper)
Psychonaut wrote:oh god someone left the internet alone
FR wrote:*Celine Dion impersonation*Near..Far..Where eee..varrr you~ are~
jidfurikuri
FLCLW Fat Cat

Postby Haz » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 pm

I mean The cannon

and the fact that all the robots looked like hands...
Haz

Postby Dilan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 pm

The robots has to grab the iron to smooth out earths wrinkle.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank god that such men lived.
Dilan
Furi Kuri!

Postby Psychonaut » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:08 am

there's a post somewhere with a scanned paper that had some crackhead-esque descriptions for most of the things that happened in flcl.

if you wanna... dig around. :lol:
see you guys soon.
Psychonaut
FLCLW Fat Cat

Postby scoobyroo9001 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:52 pm

Like EVERYTHING else in FLCL "swing the bat" has multiple deeper meanings that fit within the plot and all are applicable. On the literal of course its just the idea that in baseball Naota won't even swing at a pitch. But it has many deeper meanings. It is of course a metaphor for the fact that if one never attempts anything then nothing will ever happen. This leads to a dismissal of one's refusal to try for fear of failure. Naota doesn't swing because he is afraid of failing. which it kinda works cause during the baseball game one of the other players remarks "Who knows if he's any good? he hasn't swung the bat all game." So as long as he doesnt swing the bat he can't be seen as a failure.

Swinging the bat also is a blatent reference to Tasuku. Naota constanly lives in his brother's shadow and measures himself against that idea. So since Tasuku played baseball well, then Naota feels that he needs to prove himself on the baseball diamond. But again his fear that he won't measure up to his brother's standard keeps him from trying. This is referenced when just after the game Naota is speaking to Haruko and a plane is seen flying over head (planes being a reference to Tasuku's leaving throught the show).

Then of course there is the obvious sexual conotation of "swing the bat". The show has many sexual metaphors and so "swing the bat" is blatently a reference to the pubescent fear of not having sexual prowess. So the young Naota, who is just reaching puberty and thus has sex on the brain, has the normal adolescent male fear of sex because he isn't sure he can "perform". But of course the only way to get around this fear and know if he can is to "swing the bat" or to actually try. This provides another frame to view Naota's view of sibling rivalry. Tasuku is older and "got himself a blond girl" in America, so its assumed that he has had plenty of practice on his "swing". Naota again feels that he must be able to measure up against his brother's example, but fears that he can't so he chooses not to "swing".

Haruko, who comes to initiate and help Naota through this phase, tries to teach Naota how to "swing" and eventually is the one who gets him to actually "swing the bat" and even though he couldn't do it on his own, she jumps out to help him. Commander Amarao, while interogating Naota after he hits his father/robot, even describes Haruko as Naota's "batting coach" and asks if he likes her "swing".
"Sainity is not Statistical" George Orwell, "1984"
scoobyroo9001
FLCL Student

Postby justin.walters01 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:14 am

scoobyroo9001 wrote:Like EVERYTHING else in FLCL "swing the bat" has multiple deeper meanings that fit within the plot and all are applicable. On the literal of course its just the idea that in baseball Naota won't even swing at a pitch. But it has many deeper meanings. It is of course a metaphor for the fact that if one never attempts anything then nothing will ever happen. This leads to a dismissal of one's refusal to try for fear of failure. Naota doesn't swing because he is afraid of failing. which it kinda works cause during the baseball game one of the other players remarks "Who knows if he's any good? he hasn't swung the bat all game." So as long as he doesnt swing the bat he can't be seen as a failure.

Swinging the bat also is a blatent reference to Tasuku. Naota constanly lives in his brother's shadow and measures himself against that idea. So since Tasuku played baseball well, then Naota feels that he needs to prove himself on the baseball diamond. But again his fear that he won't measure up to his brother's standard keeps him from trying. This is referenced when just after the game Naota is speaking to Haruko and a plane is seen flying over head (planes being a reference to Tasuku's leaving throught the show).

Then of course there is the obvious sexual conotation of "swing the bat". The show has many sexual metaphors and so "swing the bat" is blatently a reference to the pubescent fear of not having sexual prowess. So the young Naota, who is just reaching puberty and thus has sex on the brain, has the normal adolescent male fear of sex because he isn't sure he can "perform". But of course the only way to get around this fear and know if he can is to "swing the bat" or to actually try. This provides another frame to view Naota's view of sibling rivalry. Tasuku is older and "got himself a blond girl" in America, so its assumed that he has had plenty of practice on his "swing". Naota again feels that he must be able to measure up against his brother's example, but fears that he can't so he chooses not to "swing".

Haruko, who comes to initiate and help Naota through this phase, tries to teach Naota how to "swing" and eventually is the one who gets him to actually "swing the bat" and even though he couldn't do it on his own, she jumps out to help him. Commander Amarao, while interogating Naota after he hits his father/robot, even describes Haruko as Naota's "batting coach" and asks if he likes her "swing".

Very concise. I can see you took your time with this. Thank you!
justin.walters01
FLCL Academic

Postby harukofan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:58 am

every metaphor in this show is an enigma.
there, done.
harukofan
Fooly Cooly!

Postby jidfurikuri » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:15 pm

harukofan wrote:every metaphor in this show is an enigma.
there, done.

way to bs throught things!! :D
JustFrosty wrote:(cept shoujos,i like romance,not vagina excrement on paper)
Psychonaut wrote:oh god someone left the internet alone
FR wrote:*Celine Dion impersonation*Near..Far..Where eee..varrr you~ are~
jidfurikuri
FLCLW Fat Cat

Postby The Time » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm

justin.walters01 wrote:That's what I was thinking.

The only thing is, can it be that simple? Would the creators actually slack off that much and be so blatant about it?

Also, there are some references to paranoia agent near the middle of the "Swing the Bat" episode I think.

sometimes, the hardest lessons to learn, are the simplest to understand.

does the whole swinging the bat deal have anything to do with his older brother? possibly resentment? eh... just speculation.
Drugs have taught the american children the metric system.
The Time
FLCL Apprentice

Postby Spacecat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:22 pm

I think it's a simple lesson.

And that's why it's so hard to pick up on it...We want to think it's complicated, that it's hard to understand - But in being easy to understand, if you put too much thought into it, it goes right back to being hard to understand.

The meaning of "swing the bat" has actually helped me a couple of times in real life...Basically, Naota's situation in baseball reflects a situation that's very real in life.

"If you're always afraid to strike out, you're always going to strike out."

Meaning: If you just give up, you'll never succeed...But if you try and try, and don't give up, you'll usually find that you had the ability to do it all along. It's all in the mind. Sometimes, you just have to be put in a situation where you or those you care about will be hurt if you fail - With that in mind, you have to try.

In Naota's case, he was afraid to swing the bat - And since there were no real consequences if he failed, he never tried. Then, with the satellite bomb, he has to try, or everything he cares about will be destroyed.

...Mmyes.
If You Want To Understand FLCL,

Watch It From Beginning To End.

The Desire Shall Pass.
Spacecat
FLCL Apprentice

Postby birminghamWILDCAT » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:56 am

Dilan wrote:The robots has to grab the iron to smooth out earths wrinkle.

Those wrinkles are how we think.
Machiavellism wrote:Son of a submariner!

0okm wrote:Yeah, OAS is better then you. Know your place, bitch.

birminghamWILDCAT
FLCL Professor

Next

Return to Deeper Meanings